Jay Lethal vs. Jimmy Jacobs
- The video quality of this week’s show looks terrific! Except for being able to see the hockey benches & penalty boxes in the background. Although they are in Canada so I guess every arena is a hockey arena.
- Steve Corino is on commentary for the first time since S.C.U.M. won their tag team match at Border Wars. It’s going to get a little confusing because Corino sounds almost exactly like Kevin Kelly.
- Jimmy Jacobs pins Lethal clean with his finisher. I’m always so surprised that Jacobs never had a run in TNA or at least WWE development.
1. It’s something subtle but giving Ryback a promo on top of an expensive prop like an ambulance really makes him seem like a bigger star in the fans eyes. Not everyone does something like that and while he still needs a lot of work in the promo delivery department, this is a small step in the ring direction for a guy who’s heel character soured quickly. I also like that he dropped the leather jacket for a “Stone Cold” vest. A guy as massive as he is shouldn’t be wearing a thick coat as part of his gimmick. But please ditch “Ryback Rules”… it truly is one of the worst catchphrases in recent memory.
2. Chris Jericho might be the “Man Of 1,004 Holds” but Wade Barrett is the man of 1,000 theme songs. And they’re all bad. The scary part is that they seem to be getting worse as time goes on.
Ryback: Facts of Life Fan
RAW started with Ryback making an entrance via ambulance. Ryback stood on top of the ambulance and said there was no winner last night. And while John Cena walked away with the WWE Championship, he didn’t walk away, he was carried away. They showed footage of Cena refusing medical attention last night. Ryback said the next time they meet, Cena won’t refuse. Ryback said he didn’t give a damn about what people thought anymore. He proposed an Ambulance Match against John Cena at Payback. Ryback then began to rip on the crowd, calling them fat and weak and that they would skip an ambulance and go straight to the morgue. He called them pathetic for worshipping John Cena. Ryback said he would take John Cena to the morgue at Payback, and there is only one fact of life, “Ryback Rules.”
Today marks two years since the tragic death of one of the greatest of all time, “Macho Man” Randy Savage. On the day of his passing, I wrote the column below. I never posted it on this site, and I feel like today would be a great time to share it:
I, just like everyone else, was shocked and saddened by the unfortunate news of Randy Savage’s death Friday. It stunned me. I was at work when I found out, and still had another 6 hours to go. I didn’t want to be there. I just wanted to come home and watch some Macho Man matches. I wanted to come home and read other’s thoughts on the Macho Man.
1. This is the first time I’ve been able to see the new preshow and the idea is growing on me. I like the idea of using different superstars/legends every time & also the fact that it doesn’t seem to be scripted at all. It allows some of the better talkers to show what they can do when not handed a script from a writer. I’m intrigued to see who is on future shows and who sinks or swims. That being said, there’s no way in hell I’m staying awake for a PPV post-show. For a company who already knows they have too much programming, why the hell would they add more?!
2. Dean Ambrose vs Kofi Kingston was one of the best matches of the year thus far. The only time the match’s paced slowed was when Ambrose locked on the classic Bob Backlund “Crossface Chicken Wing”. The ground game of Ambrose played off of Kingston’s aerial moves perfectly and the finish clean! A heel actually won a championship cleanly! Great match and great chemistry between these two wrestlers and I recommend going out of your way to see these match when you can.
: Smackdown kicked off again this week with Miz TV. Between his YouTube matches and his lackluster Piper’s Pit type show is this just a sign of life after the WWE for him?
Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns w/ Dean Ambrose v. The Usos
: Two television appearances in a row and against the hottest act in the WWE. Are the Usos finally going to get a real chance at the main roster? They would add a whole new element to the desperate tag team division.
: Good god who wouldn’t want to see the Damien Sandow Show? Even if you don’t like the guy his segments would be much more entertaining than whatever creative has for The Miz every week.
After what seems like MONTHS away, I will be back tonight on the official Pulse Wrestling Twitter account (@pulsewrestling) watching WWE Extreme Rules with all of you! Be sure to follow along and maybe even get the chance to a win a couple of prizes!