Hello everyone. I’m back with my second review of WWE Main Event this week!
Alberto del Rio vs Big E Langston
-A rematch from RAW already? Surprised this wasn’t saved for Smackdown. I’m sure Teddy Long must have some kind of tag team match planned instead.
-If you ask me, A.J. Lee has been the most watchable Diva in the WWE since Trish Stratus left. She plays her part as a manager perfectly and she has made the psycho crazy chick gimmick work. And she is good in the ring to top it off. Of course, who doesn’t love her finisher too?
Jay Lethal vs. Jimmy Jacobs
- The video quality of this week’s show looks terrific! Except for being able to see the hockey benches & penalty boxes in the background. Although they are in Canada so I guess every arena is a hockey arena.
- Steve Corino is on commentary for the first time since S.C.U.M. won their tag team match at Border Wars. It’s going to get a little confusing because Corino sounds almost exactly like Kevin Kelly.
- Jimmy Jacobs pins Lethal clean with his finisher. I’m always so surprised that Jacobs never had a run in TNA or at least WWE development.
1. It’s something subtle but giving Ryback a promo on top of an expensive prop like an ambulance really makes him seem like a bigger star in the fans eyes. Not everyone does something like that and while he still needs a lot of work in the promo delivery department, this is a small step in the ring direction for a guy who’s heel character soured quickly. I also like that he dropped the leather jacket for a “Stone Cold” vest. A guy as massive as he is shouldn’t be wearing a thick coat as part of his gimmick. But please ditch “Ryback Rules”… it truly is one of the worst catchphrases in recent memory.
2. Chris Jericho might be the “Man Of 1,004 Holds” but Wade Barrett is the man of 1,000 theme songs. And they’re all bad. The scary part is that they seem to be getting worse as time goes on.
Ryback: Facts of Life Fan
RAW started with Ryback making an entrance via ambulance. Ryback stood on top of the ambulance and said there was no winner last night. And while John Cena walked away with the WWE Championship, he didn’t walk away, he was carried away. They showed footage of Cena refusing medical attention last night. Ryback said the next time they meet, Cena won’t refuse. Ryback said he didn’t give a damn about what people thought anymore. He proposed an Ambulance Match against John Cena at Payback. Ryback then began to rip on the crowd, calling them fat and weak and that they would skip an ambulance and go straight to the morgue. He called them pathetic for worshipping John Cena. Ryback said he would take John Cena to the morgue at Payback, and there is only one fact of life, “Ryback Rules.”
Today marks two years since the tragic death of one of the greatest of all time, “Macho Man” Randy Savage. On the day of his passing, I wrote the column below. I never posted it on this site, and I feel like today would be a great time to share it:
I, just like everyone else, was shocked and saddened by the unfortunate news of Randy Savage’s death Friday. It stunned me. I was at work when I found out, and still had another 6 hours to go. I didn’t want to be there. I just wanted to come home and watch some Macho Man matches. I wanted to come home and read other’s thoughts on the Macho Man.
1. This is the first time I’ve been able to see the new preshow and the idea is growing on me. I like the idea of using different superstars/legends every time & also the fact that it doesn’t seem to be scripted at all. It allows some of the better talkers to show what they can do when not handed a script from a writer. I’m intrigued to see who is on future shows and who sinks or swims. That being said, there’s no way in hell I’m staying awake for a PPV post-show. For a company who already knows they have too much programming, why the hell would they add more?!
2. Dean Ambrose vs Kofi Kingston was one of the best matches of the year thus far. The only time the match’s paced slowed was when Ambrose locked on the classic Bob Backlund “Crossface Chicken Wing”. The ground game of Ambrose played off of Kingston’s aerial moves perfectly and the finish clean! A heel actually won a championship cleanly! Great match and great chemistry between these two wrestlers and I recommend going out of your way to see these match when you can.
: Smackdown kicked off again this week with Miz TV. Between his YouTube matches and his lackluster Piper’s Pit type show is this just a sign of life after the WWE for him?
Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns w/ Dean Ambrose v. The Usos
: Two television appearances in a row and against the hottest act in the WWE. Are the Usos finally going to get a real chance at the main roster? They would add a whole new element to the desperate tag team division.
: Good god who wouldn’t want to see the Damien Sandow Show? Even if you don’t like the guy his segments would be much more entertaining than whatever creative has for The Miz every week.
Usually, Cam and I do separate previews for WWE PPV’s. But this time, we are doing one joint PPV Preview! You may have already heard our thoughts on the show on the Creatively Endeavored Podcast Thursday, but if you didn’t, you can see them here. One thing we all agree on is that this is a pretty lacklsuter PPV.
Cody Rhodes vs The Miz
Justin: I honestly don’t know why this match is happening. To get the Miz back on TV and get a win that really doesn’t mean much in the end? Okay. At this point, Cody Rhodes is the heel worker who can have a solid match with anyone on the roster and looks good in the process, but doesn’t pick up the win in the end. Knowing that, Miz picks up the win here and starts to get himself back into the Intercontinental Title scene.
WINNER: The Miz
[Before I get into my first recap of TNA I want to thank the fans for continuing to read and visit our website every day/week. It means the world to not only me, but Matt and Justin as well. Now onto the snarky comments. Hey TNA, you are a company that has a traveling show along with a weekly show on TELEVISION. Spend a few bucks on your site, for your sake; not just the fans. I couldn't watch live with all the other TNA fans because we record the Creatively Endeavored Pulsecast Thursdays at 8pm. With that said, TNA makes it damn near impossible for you to find out what happened on their show unless you want to watch it on YouTube. Laugh.]
:Hulk Hogan came out to thank Abyss for saving them last week, but he couldn’t help but mention the Austin Aires controversy, or shoot, I’m still not sure what to think of it.
: Good god Joseph Park is the best thing about TNA.
: It was almost impossible to sit through Devon, D-Lo Brown and Hulk Hogan do that segment. If this was the NFL even the Oakland Raiders wouldn’t want these guys.
<- Ah now back to my comfort zone, WWE-style production. I don’t know if that’s good or bad.
Natalya vs Summer Rae
<- God it’s been so damn long, you forget that Natalya is a FREAKING HART! She can GO in the ring. Apparently her talents are better used to valet The Great Khali to the ring though.
<- Summer Rae is surprising me a lot with a few of the moves she’s pulling out. Reminds me of Maryse and she had a pretty good run in the WWE.